May 21, 2006 After a very difficult two months for Team No Limits, the adventure now nears its end. The only remaining member of the team, Doug Tumminello, of Denver, Colorado - will make his final push for the summit this week. Doug is now in Camp III and will make a push for the summit on the 23rd (weather permitting).
Doug has demonstrated an unwavering determination throughout this entire journey. In spite of many set backs and the loss of his two teammates, Doug remains optimistic and continues to persevere in the midst of adversity. Our thoughts and prayers are with Doug as he continues his mission to reach the roof of the world. I hope to be reporting good news to you in the next day or so.
7, 2006 Team No Limits is now down to one original
member. After both Dr. Rigsby and Matt Tredway fell ill, Doug Tumminello
of Littleton Colorado is the only member of Team No Limits left on Everest.
Doug is still accompied by the team base camp manager, Roger Coffey,
and the Sherpa team - headed by climbing sirdar, Apa Sherpa. After Rigsby
and Tredway both fell victim to apparent heart problems, both climbers
left the Everest base camp. Tredway, of Steamboat Springs, was evacuated
from the mountain via helicopter and is seeking treatment in Katmandu.
April 24, 2006 Spirits in base camp are on the mend after the tragic loss Team No Limits experienced on April 21. For two days the team and other climbers at base camp mourned the loss of their friends and tended to the injured. Following the mourning period, the team's Sherpas entered the Icefall to recover gear and supplies abandoned during the accident. They took the gear to Camp I (at the top of the Icefall) and then headed to Camp II with additional supplies.
After extensive soul searching, thought, and discussion between team members and their Sherpas, the team has decided to continue with the expedition. "We continue our venture in memory of our friends and with great hope and determination," one team member said. On April 24, the team commenced its initial acclimatization plan by climbing thru the Icefall (19,500 ft.). They will spend two nights at Camp I and during that time, make an acclimatization climb to Camp II (21,500 ft.). They may spend a night or two at Camp II, depending on the condition of the team members and the Camp II logistics. The team will then descend to base camp for rest and recovery.
Although plans were delayed by a three day storm and the accident, the team feels confident that sufficient time remains for proper acclimatization and a summit bid. "Patience and fortitude are key and our strategy is to make haste, slowly."
...More to come as this story continues to unfold!
21, 2006 -
It is with tremendous sadness that we make the
All members of Team No Limits were in base camp when the accident occurred. Witnesses to the accident reported that ten Sherpas were in the immediate area and moving toward camp1 when the seracs collapsed. A number of climbing teams and Sherpas near the accident site quickly accessed the scene and began a search for the missing. The search was called off at about 10:30 AM when it was determined that the climbers could not be rescued or recovered because of the amount of ice covering the site. An independent inspection of the site by Apa Sherpa, our climbing Sirdar, confirmed the futility of any hope of recovering the missing. Other Sherpas were injured but all were ambulatory, and they received treatment at the Everest Base Camp Clinic.
Our team's thoughts, prayers, and condolences go out to the families of the missing. The climbers were beloved in their villages and were respected members of the Sherpa climbing community. Their loss is keenly felt.
team's climbing operations are currently suspended as we come to terms
with this tragedy and further access the situation.
The team is headed by the world renowned, Apa Sherpa, who holds the world record for the number of summits on Mount Everest. If the team makes it to the summit, this will be number 16 for Apa Sherpa!
The team arrived at the 17, 600ft. base camp in Nepal on April 10. Summit attempts will begin on May 8 and will continue until May 31. The schedule will allow the team to remain flexible to adjust for weather and other delays. Weather will be the ultimate determining factor with regard to the team's summit schedule.